Are you in North Carolina and want to see Shore Debris in person? My jewelry is available at this Sanford location:

Divine Designs by Nancy, 92 Amarillo Ln

You can also find my jewelry in this Southwest Florida gallery:

Elizabet Bryant Art Gallery, 200 West Dearborn Street, Englewood, FL 34223

Friday, May 25, 2012

Bunnies, Slugs, and Flowers - Oh, My!

I've had an assortment of different pests in my gardents this year.  Previous years, it has been Japanese bettles.  This year, slugs have eaten about 1/3 of every strawberry in my garden.  In fact, I've never seen so many slugs in one place before.  If they didn't leave such a sticky residue all over the berries, I'd consider taking them in side and just cutting off the eaten portion, but now they just look sort of gross to me.
Out front, I have some lillies in trouble... My oriental lillies have lost most of their leaves to the bunnies, but luckily the blooms are higher than those bunnies can reach!
My asiatic lillies, on the other hand, have not been so lucky.  Mister bunny has consumed all leaves and my beautiful buds. 
 I have discovered a new plant this year - the verbena.  I love it when I am at a garden center, pick up a card, and on the back it said "water usage:  arid."  Most of my yard is sand.  Actually, I'm not really sure how I actually get grass to grow, but the soil never holds water and I'm always on the lookout for pretty flowers that will stand up to long droughts.  I've had the verbenas for about 5 weeks now and they have had beautiful bright pink flowers the entire time.

1 comment:

Miss Val's Creations said...

Oh no! A rough year for your plants! Bunnies are so cute but they can be such terrors! I love the verbena. It is very sweet.