Are you in North Carolina and want to see Shore Debris in person? My jewelry is available at this Sanford location:

Divine Designs by Nancy, 92 Amarillo Ln

You can also find my jewelry in this Southwest Florida gallery:

Elizabet Bryant Art Gallery, 200 West Dearborn Street, Englewood, FL 34223

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Dinner again... Beef Stew with Butternut Squash

I found a new recipe in a magazine - it was either Self, Fitness, or Shape (but I can't remember and have read all 3 in the last month). I'm not normally a beef person, but I've done beef meals twice in the last couple of months. This one tasted great and had a sweet flavor. Here is my altered version of the recipe (fed 14 adults over the weekend). The meal was easy to prepare and everyone liked it. I had guests arriving at 6 PM, but left for the grocery store to get ALL of the ingredients at 3 PM.

Ingredients:
2 T olive oil
2 lb stew beef (cubed)
2 large sweet onions (chopped)
3 T garlic flakes
2 t ginger
2 med butternut squash (cubed)
28 oz can diced tomatoes
16 oz can tomato sauce
4 c beef broth
1 T cumin seed
1 T cinnamon
8 c whole wheat couscous
1/4 c sliced almonds
1/4 c minced fresh parsley

Directions:
Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook until browned on all sides (about 5 min). Transfer meet to stock pot leaving juices in pan. Add onion to pan; cook until translucent (about 6 min). Add garlic and ginger and stir while over heat for 1 min more. Transfer onion mix to stock pot and add squash, tomatoes, sauce, broth, cumin, and cinnamon. Bring to boil; reduce heat to low and simmer until beef is tender (about 30-35 min). Place large spoonful of couscous in bowl and top with stew. Sprinkle with sliced almonds and minced fresh parsley to garnish.

3 comments:

LindaS said...

Yummm! I love butternut and acorn squash... I do a similar recipe with acorn squash only I put all ingredients (beef, onions, etc) in the hollowed out acorn and bake.

Shore Debris said...

Oh, that sounds good. I think I'll try idea on my husband (he's a good taste-tester).

Almost Precious said...

Sounds yummy and I love couscous.

Also thanks so much for your helpful comment on my blog. I will check around and see what there are in the way of consignment shops in my area. :)